Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Crab Cakes






Hi!  Well this is my first recipe.  I just tried it today and I was amazed at how wonderful they came out.  I have always wanted to make crab cakes and never have.  So this is my first try.  I must say that I certainly did surprise myself.  

You can add any veggies you like to this in addition to the Red and Green Peppers.  Possibly Carrots or Celery...  I would also like to add that cooking for me is usually something I do by taste and what I think tastes good.  Remember to always begin with a little then you can always add more if it needs more flavor.  I love spicy food so I go all in, but some people can't handle heat, so remember, start light then add more if you like.  You can always add but you cant take away when it comes to cooking.  

Here we go!

Ingredients

12 oz. crabmeat  The better quality, the better the crab cake.

1 sleeve of butter crackers such as Ritz, or panko bread crumbs if you like

2 tsp. hot sauce, Louisiana or tabasco any is fine...

1/2 C. mayo

1/4 C. chopped parsley, flat leaf or italian

1/4 C. chopped red pepper

1/4 C. chopped green pepper

1/4 C. chopped shallots/or yellow onion

1 T. old bay seasoning

pinch of cayenne 

salt + pepper to taste

1 egg

EVOO

Lemon juice



The Procedure

Begin by chopping all of your veggies

Chop Red pepper, Green pepper, Shallots, and Parsley (finely)

Seperate Parsley from the Peppers and Shallots.  

Also take a full sleve of ritz crackers and crush finely in the packet or put all of the crackers in a ziplock bag and pound them so you have crumbs.  Leave in bag.


Saute peppers and shallots in EVOO (Just a drizzle) for about 3 minutes, you want everything to still be firm but just softer.  Remove and set aside and begin to let cool.  


In a mixing bowl add the crab, and begin with just 1/2 of the mayo.  Then add crumbs, hot sauce, parsley, sauteed peppers and shallots, old bay, cayenne, use a silicone spatula or something non stick and fold all of the ingredients until well mixed.  If you have to add more mayo use the rest of the mayo at this time.  Taste it...  See how it measures up on flavor then add salt & pepper or more old bay, or what ever you like.  Then add a teaspoon of lemon juice fresh or not, if you use fresh add the zest into the crab mixture.  Yummy!  The mayo is going to add flavor of course but also helps your patties stay formed.  If you need more, add more than what I suggest.  If you add too much by accident, just add more crumbs!  


So once you have the crab mixture to taste add the beaten egg to bind it all and begin making your cakes.  You can make any size cakes you like, after forming cakes, place them in fridge for about an hour to cool.


When ready to cook heat a non stick pan on Medium with a bit of EVOO to coat pan.  Put in cakes when heated and ready and sautee on each side for about 4 minutes each.  

The pictures are out of Order, Im sorry!  The first one is of them frying, this is what they should look like when you flip them.  The second is the finished product, the third is a close up of a formed cake, veggies popping out!  Yummy!  And the final one is of the first batch, I got about 8 from the first batch and about six from the second batch.  

I decided to use the remaining peppers and Shallots and dice them very fine.  I put them in a bowl and added some sprigs of parsley chopped very fine, a little rice vinegar and sugar and made a pepper salsa.  It came out pretty good.  You can make any kind of topping that you like with this.  Ask me for some ideas if you are at a loss!  Ask me if you have any questions at all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment